Cheyenne, WY Airliner Crashes in Snow Storm, Oct 1935


Giant Ship Hits Hill in Snow
Storm Near Cheyenne and
Fuel Tanks Explode

Maj. P. P. Hill Killed as $500,000
Boeing Fortress' Plunges
Ablaze in Trial Flight

CHEYENNE, Wyo., Oct. 30 —
Four airmen were killed tonight
when a giant test airplane of the
United Air Lines crashed during a
snowstorm into a low knoll six
miles south of here.
The plane, cruising through zero
weather, struck the hilltop and exploded,
scattering bodies and wreckage
over the thumb-like hill which
rises from a broken plain.

The Dead

Those killed were:
ARNOLD, M. T., of Cheyenne,
chief tesi pilot of the United Air
COHN, HANLEY G. ("Abe"), of
Denver, formerly of Sheridan,
Wyo.. veteran pilot of the Wyoming
air service.
YANTIS, EDWARD, of Cheyenne,
of the United Air Lines instrument
KAUFMAN, HAROLD, of Cheyenne,
apprentice instrument man
of the line.
The plane crashed twenty-five
minutes after it took off from the
Municipal Airport here on a leisurely
cruise into the wintry skies.

Second Explosion on Rebound

Truck farmers who live on the
outskirts of Cheyenne said that
they saw the plane explode as it
hit. They described it as leaping
high into the air and exploding
again as it smashed in a mass of
darting flames.
Witnesses said that one gasoline
tank exploded as the plane struck
the hilltop. Then, they said the
ship bounded high into the air and
the second gasoline tank apparently
blew up.
It was estimated that the plane
was traveling 170 miles an hour
when it fell. The craft, a twinmotored
Boeing, had been used for
test purposes only.
Police patrol cars, ambulances
and fire trucks moved with difficulty
through a jam of sightseers'
cars to the wreckage-strewn knoll
on the broken plains land which
borders the Cheyenne-Denver highway.

Sharp Drop in Temperature

W. P. Hoare, manager of the
United Air Lines offices here, was
unable to explain why the big twinmotored
Boeing passenger fell. He
said that a gentle snow was falling
when the ship took off, but
there were no blizzard conditions.
During the short time the plane
was in the air, the temperature
slumped rapidly and was at the zero
mark at the site of the crash.
John Terrill, of the State patrol,
was first to reach the scene. He
had heard what he thought was a
disabled plane overhead, heard it
strike, saw the mass of flames
which followed the explosion, and
dashed to the hilltop two miles

Oct. 31, 1935 edition of The New York Times